Potato skins have always been a staple (delicious, yet not the healthiest) whether an appetizer at a bar/restaurant or making for friends at a Superbowl party. This healthy version is delicious and packed with nutrients. You can adapt these even more to the real thing (if you are so inclined) by throwing in some nitrate-free bacon and topping with melted cheese!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 handfuls fresh organic spinach
- 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cups shredded crock pot chicken or organic rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 tbsp Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- Optional Topping: Nitrate-free bacon, shredded mozzarella cheese (if you do dairy), chopped scallions, and homemade guacamole
- Preheat oven to 375
- Bake sweet potato for about 40 minutes or until you can pierce with a fork.
- Cut sweet potato in half. Using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the sweet potato leaving about 1/2 inch around all sides.
- In a small pan, heat oil and add spinach until sautéed.
- In a bowl combine your prepared shredded chicken, sautéed spinach, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Spoon in chicken mixture into your sweet potato boat and serve
What to do with the leftover sweet potato you scooped out? Make Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes!
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- 7g of fiber per serving
- Rich in beta-carotene, manganese, and potassium
- Good source of vitamin B6, C, and E
- Rich in antioxidants
- Promotes eye health
Benefits of Organic Spinach:
- High in fiber: aids in digestion
- Rich in folate and b vitamins
- Helps improve mental focus (L-Tyrosene)
- Alkalizes the body
- Rich in iron and omega-3