So many women tell me they want to get lean and see definition but are scared to lift weights because they’ll get too big. What if I told you that won’t happen!
You may (if you’ve been following my Instagram for some time) or may not know that I workout at home. I have a home gym that has everything I need for my daily routines. With that being said, I just made a new purchase and wanted to talk about lifting weights (my favorite).
Myth: “If I lift heavy weights I’ll bulk up”
- Many ladies are under the impression that if they lift weights they will get “bulky,” but this is 100% not the case. For starters, let’s talk about hormones. It is much harder for women to gain muscle mass then it is for men (we have 10-30 times less testosterone). Therefore, lifting weights won’t make you look like a body builder, instead you’ll get the definition and body you’ve always wanted, feel confident, and look great!
Weight Training & Fat Burn:
- “Generally speaking, for each pound of muscle you gain, you burn 35 to 50 more calories each day,” says Joey Gonzalez (Barry’s Bootcamp in New York). It is proven that weight training heightens after-burn (after burn means that you’ll continue to burn fat way after your workout is complete), it is also shown that women who lifted heavier weights burned twice as many calories during the two hours after their workout then women who worked out with lighter weights.
Aside from that…
- You will improve your athletic performance and you will be stronger!
- You will improve your joint stability and strengthen connective tissue aka preventing injuries.
- You’ll be happier (studies show that strength training can reduce clinical depression symptoms)
When I got really into fitness I was all about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). To start let me say that I still incorporate HIIT into my workout regimen. I think it’s great, it targets your anaerobic and aerobic systems and makes you WORK! But after 8 months of my routine I felt (as many feel) that I wanted to see more definition. That was when I found strength training. The results I have seen are amazing. I am stronger, more defined, and confident. I am constantly pushing myself and challenging myself to do more and be better; and in turn I feel great (and feel ready to hit the beach)!
And Lastly, My Product Review!
My new set of Power Blocks are here!!!!!
Reasons why I am in love with the Power Blocks:
- They are so easy to use. You can adjust your weights in about 5 seconds, making for a quick transition into another move, or if you picked the wrong weight and need to change them quickly.
- They are compact and sit on a stand. These babies take up hardly any room (which is great for my apartment).
- Great price for what you’d spend on buying separate dumbbells.
- You’ll have them forever!