I went to undergrad at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and found a love for the delicious apple butter from Judie’s Restaurant. Since then, I have been looking for an apple butter recipe that wasn’t LOADED with sugar. I found a few alternatives, and decided to adapt my own! This slowcooker recipe is perfect. Great addition to top a piece of homemade paleo toast, on top of oatmeal, etc.
- 8-10 Apples (cored, pealed, sliced)
- 1-2 cups organic apple juice or cider (read labels- find one with no added sugar!)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Dash of salt
- Put everything in slow cooker (juice should not overpower apples) and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
- Once apples are dark, immerse hand blender into slow cooker until smooth.
- Let cool, and store in jars in the fridge!
- If not as thick as you’d like, transfer to pot and cook over medium heat until thickens.